He is a classic creature of the political world: The centrist who finds middle ground on any issue, no matter what the merits of the opposing arguments are. Worse, the centrist often prides himself on being the only adult in the room, his unerring ability to find the precise center of a debate evidence of a maturity beyond the comprehension of callow partisans.
Centrists obviously drive some very smart people nuts, like The New York Times' Paul Krugman. And sometimes compromise really isn't best, as evidenced by a series of tweets trending under the hashtag #CivilWarCentrists. Enjoy.
Can we get #CivilWarCentrists trending?— Matt O'Brien (@ObsoleteDogma) November 19, 2013
I'm not pro-slavery but the abolitionists go too far. What we really need is a supercommittee to reform the plantations. #CivilWarCentrists— Nick Wolfe (@wvmerica) November 19, 2013
#CivilWarCentrists Lincoln has failed to engage Dems on "Grand Bargain" of expanding slavery in territories in exchange for lower tariffs.— Young MT (@MXTracy66) November 19, 2013
Emancipation punishes job creators. #CivilWarCentrists— Patrick McGuire (@mcguirejpatrick) November 19, 2013
Markets are sending negative signals on emancipation #CivilWarCentrists— M. Ibrahim (@Red_Cosmonaut) November 19, 2013
Instead of 3/5th of a person, we'll make it 2/5th. Abolitionists would be totally unreasonable to reject that compromise. #CivilWarCentrists— billmon (@billmon1) November 19, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week