Anyone who has ever planned a Thanksgiving menu knows the following scenario: A guest phones to RSVP, says how much he or she is looking forward to coming, and then [throat clears] the polite request. "Um, can we have the cranberry sauce from the can?" There is always one.
It's not that the canned stuff — in all its jiggly, fuschia glory — is necessarily delicious; it's that Thanksgiving dinner is bound with our strongest food memories. Your guest's mother, and grandmom before her, probably served the can of cranberry sauce every year, and it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Turkeys come and go, but it's the cranberry sauces and special condiments that are so memorable.
The can may be here to stay, but these seven Thanksgiving treats are guaranteed to create new, better-tasting traditions all their own.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week