Anyone who has ever planned a Thanksgiving menu knows the following scenario: A guest phones to RSVP, says how much he or she is looking forward to coming, and then [throat clears] the polite request. "Um, can we have the cranberry sauce from the can?" There is always one.
It's not that the canned stuff — in all its jiggly, fuschia glory — is necessarily delicious; it's that Thanksgiving dinner is bound with our strongest food memories. Your guest's mother, and grandmom before her, probably served the can of cranberry sauce every year, and it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Turkeys come and go, but it's the cranberry sauces and special condiments that are so memorable.
The can may be here to stay, but these seven Thanksgiving treats are guaranteed to create new, better-tasting traditions all their own.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week