Anyone who has ever planned a Thanksgiving menu knows the following scenario: A guest phones to RSVP, says how much he or she is looking forward to coming, and then [throat clears] the polite request. "Um, can we have the cranberry sauce from the can?" There is always one.
It's not that the canned stuff — in all its jiggly, fuschia glory — is necessarily delicious; it's that Thanksgiving dinner is bound with our strongest food memories. Your guest's mother, and grandmom before her, probably served the can of cranberry sauce every year, and it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Turkeys come and go, but it's the cranberry sauces and special condiments that are so memorable.
The can may be here to stay, but these seven Thanksgiving treats are guaranteed to create new, better-tasting traditions all their own.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week