Anyone who has ever planned a Thanksgiving menu knows the following scenario: A guest phones to RSVP, says how much he or she is looking forward to coming, and then [throat clears] the polite request. "Um, can we have the cranberry sauce from the can?" There is always one.
It's not that the canned stuff — in all its jiggly, fuschia glory — is necessarily delicious; it's that Thanksgiving dinner is bound with our strongest food memories. Your guest's mother, and grandmom before her, probably served the can of cranberry sauce every year, and it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Turkeys come and go, but it's the cranberry sauces and special condiments that are so memorable.
The can may be here to stay, but these seven Thanksgiving treats are guaranteed to create new, better-tasting traditions all their own.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week