On Tuesday night, former President George W. Bush made a rare post-White House public appearance, sitting down with his wife Laura for an interview on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Leno and Bush both got some good jokes in, but Leno got the former president to allude to his hard-living past, and asked if he had any advice for Toronto's crack-smoking mayor, Rob Ford. Bush's answer is in the very short clip above.
The lead-up to the question about Bush's heart operation is at the end of Part Two of the Leno interview. The highlights here are his answer to how he came to paint and the story about Vladimir Putin insulting his now-deceased presidential dog, Barney:
It's a pretty long, and not exactly hard-hitting, interview. Come on, it's Leno. But there's some nice banter in Part One, where Bush ribbed Leno about being "sent out to pasture," explained why he has stayed out of the spotlight, and talked about being a Bush in the context of brother Jeb Bush's potential presidential run:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week