It's been a rough month for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, but at least one high-profile celebrity has pledged his continued support: Anchorman's Ron Burgundy, who used a Wednesday appearance on Conan to stump for Ford. "My dear, dear, dear friend Mayor Rob Ford of Toronto is running for re-election — and I hold him in the highest regard. He is the best," said Ferrell, in character as the protagonist of next month's Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. "Outstanding individual. And his little brother Donnie, or Dougie, or whatever."
After that glowing endorsement, Burgundy took the stage to perform a Ford-themed cover of Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend," complete with a stunning jazz flute solo.
The public endorsement clearly marks the beginning of some kind of bromance. On Thursday morning, Ford took to Twitter to express his appreciation for Burgundy's cover:
Good morning Toronto. I had to laugh at my friend Ron Burgundy & his take on my 2014 re-election campaign song: http://t.co/5KwKEEWSXU— Mayor Rob Ford (@TOMayorFord) November 21, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- How moderns celebrate Good Friday and Easter
Subscribe to the Week