It's been a rough month for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, but at least one high-profile celebrity has pledged his continued support: Anchorman's Ron Burgundy, who used a Wednesday appearance on Conan to stump for Ford. "My dear, dear, dear friend Mayor Rob Ford of Toronto is running for re-election — and I hold him in the highest regard. He is the best," said Ferrell, in character as the protagonist of next month's Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. "Outstanding individual. And his little brother Donnie, or Dougie, or whatever."
After that glowing endorsement, Burgundy took the stage to perform a Ford-themed cover of Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend," complete with a stunning jazz flute solo.
The public endorsement clearly marks the beginning of some kind of bromance. On Thursday morning, Ford took to Twitter to express his appreciation for Burgundy's cover:
Good morning Toronto. I had to laugh at my friend Ron Burgundy & his take on my 2014 re-election campaign song: http://t.co/5KwKEEWSXU— Mayor Rob Ford (@TOMayorFord) November 21, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week