It's been a rough month for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, but at least one high-profile celebrity has pledged his continued support: Anchorman's Ron Burgundy, who used a Wednesday appearance on Conan to stump for Ford. "My dear, dear, dear friend Mayor Rob Ford of Toronto is running for re-election — and I hold him in the highest regard. He is the best," said Ferrell, in character as the protagonist of next month's Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. "Outstanding individual. And his little brother Donnie, or Dougie, or whatever."
After that glowing endorsement, Burgundy took the stage to perform a Ford-themed cover of Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend," complete with a stunning jazz flute solo.
The public endorsement clearly marks the beginning of some kind of bromance. On Thursday morning, Ford took to Twitter to express his appreciation for Burgundy's cover:
Good morning Toronto. I had to laugh at my friend Ron Burgundy & his take on my 2014 re-election campaign song: http://t.co/5KwKEEWSXU— Mayor Rob Ford (@TOMayorFord) November 21, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Tony Blair: The Cassandra of the Middle East
Subscribe to the Week