It's been a rough month for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, but at least one high-profile celebrity has pledged his continued support: Anchorman's Ron Burgundy, who used a Wednesday appearance on Conan to stump for Ford. "My dear, dear, dear friend Mayor Rob Ford of Toronto is running for re-election — and I hold him in the highest regard. He is the best," said Ferrell, in character as the protagonist of next month's Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. "Outstanding individual. And his little brother Donnie, or Dougie, or whatever."
After that glowing endorsement, Burgundy took the stage to perform a Ford-themed cover of Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend," complete with a stunning jazz flute solo.
The public endorsement clearly marks the beginning of some kind of bromance. On Thursday morning, Ford took to Twitter to express his appreciation for Burgundy's cover:
Good morning Toronto. I had to laugh at my friend Ron Burgundy & his take on my 2014 re-election campaign song: http://t.co/5KwKEEWSXU— Mayor Rob Ford (@TOMayorFord) November 21, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
- With the world in flames, why is the economic recovery still going strong?
Subscribe to the Week