With less than a month until 2013 draws to a close, popular mash-up artist DJ Earworm has released his annual "United State of Pop" — a track that takes the year's 25 most popular songs and condenses them into a brief, surprisingly coherent medley.
This year's version comes with the subtitle "Living the Fantasy." Over the track's five-and-a-half-minute running time, listeners with sharp ears will recognize cuts from Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Imagine Dragons, Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, and Lady Gaga interspersed with a wide range of similarly popular artists.
Anyone who's having trouble identifying some of the more obscure songs can turn to the music video, which offers some useful clues. Of course, much of the fun of "United States of Pop" comes from recognizing elements of the year's most popular songs for yourself — so push play, close your eyes, and see how many of 2013's top songs you can name.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week