With less than a month until 2013 draws to a close, popular mash-up artist DJ Earworm has released his annual "United State of Pop" — a track that takes the year's 25 most popular songs and condenses them into a brief, surprisingly coherent medley.
This year's version comes with the subtitle "Living the Fantasy." Over the track's five-and-a-half-minute running time, listeners with sharp ears will recognize cuts from Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Imagine Dragons, Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, and Lady Gaga interspersed with a wide range of similarly popular artists.
Anyone who's having trouble identifying some of the more obscure songs can turn to the music video, which offers some useful clues. Of course, much of the fun of "United States of Pop" comes from recognizing elements of the year's most popular songs for yourself — so push play, close your eyes, and see how many of 2013's top songs you can name.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- 13 deliciously garlicky dishes for summer
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week