With less than a month until 2013 draws to a close, popular mash-up artist DJ Earworm has released his annual "United State of Pop" — a track that takes the year's 25 most popular songs and condenses them into a brief, surprisingly coherent medley.
This year's version comes with the subtitle "Living the Fantasy." Over the track's five-and-a-half-minute running time, listeners with sharp ears will recognize cuts from Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Imagine Dragons, Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, and Lady Gaga interspersed with a wide range of similarly popular artists.
Anyone who's having trouble identifying some of the more obscure songs can turn to the music video, which offers some useful clues. Of course, much of the fun of "United States of Pop" comes from recognizing elements of the year's most popular songs for yourself — so push play, close your eyes, and see how many of 2013's top songs you can name.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
Subscribe to the Week