With less than a month until 2013 draws to a close, popular mash-up artist DJ Earworm has released his annual "United State of Pop" — a track that takes the year's 25 most popular songs and condenses them into a brief, surprisingly coherent medley.
This year's version comes with the subtitle "Living the Fantasy." Over the track's five-and-a-half-minute running time, listeners with sharp ears will recognize cuts from Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Imagine Dragons, Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, and Lady Gaga interspersed with a wide range of similarly popular artists.
Anyone who's having trouble identifying some of the more obscure songs can turn to the music video, which offers some useful clues. Of course, much of the fun of "United States of Pop" comes from recognizing elements of the year's most popular songs for yourself — so push play, close your eyes, and see how many of 2013's top songs you can name.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
Subscribe to the Week