With less than a month until 2013 draws to a close, popular mash-up artist DJ Earworm has released his annual "United State of Pop" — a track that takes the year's 25 most popular songs and condenses them into a brief, surprisingly coherent medley.
This year's version comes with the subtitle "Living the Fantasy." Over the track's five-and-a-half-minute running time, listeners with sharp ears will recognize cuts from Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Imagine Dragons, Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, and Lady Gaga interspersed with a wide range of similarly popular artists.
Anyone who's having trouble identifying some of the more obscure songs can turn to the music video, which offers some useful clues. Of course, much of the fun of "United States of Pop" comes from recognizing elements of the year's most popular songs for yourself — so push play, close your eyes, and see how many of 2013's top songs you can name.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week