In the decade since the conclusion of the Matrix Trilogy, writer/directors Andy and Lana Wachowski have dabbled in a number of other genres. There was the Orwellian dystopia of V For Vendetta, the candy-colored world of Speed Racer, and the epic, generations-spanning sprawl of Cloud Atlas. Next year's sci-fi/action flick Jupiter Ascending is probably the closest cousin to The Matrix they've released to date — and based on this first trailer, it's going to be every bit as dense.
"It can be difficult for people from underdeveloped worlds to hear that their planet is not the only inhabited planet," says Channing Tatum's Caine to Mila Kunis' Jupiter Jones. "Your Earth is a very small part of a very large industry," says another mysterious woman. Jupiter — who, despite her name, has never left Earth before — is clearly in over her head.
But apart from those broad strokes, this trailer may leave viewers with more questions than answers. Why do those doctors want to kill Mila Kunis? Why does Channing Tatum have elf ears? What kind of parent names their kid "Jupiter Jones," anyway? Alas, this trailer is short on information and long on sci-fi spectacle. The official plot synopsis for the film provides a few answers — but to get the full story on this mind-bender, we'll probably just have to wait until Jupiter Ascending hits theaters next July.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The week's best photojournalism
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week