Tom Cruise just can't catch a break. Less than one year after navigating the bombed-out world of Oblivion — and less than a decade after surviving the War of the Worlds — he's trapped in yet another sci-fi dystopia in Edge of Tomorrow, which just dropped its first trailer.
The story follows Cruise's Lt. Col. Bill Cage, who's a key fighter in a war against an alien race. "What I am about to tell you sounds crazy, but you have to listen to me" says Cage at the outset of the trailer. "Your very lives depend on it. You see, this isn't the first time that we've had this conversation." As it turns out, Cage is caught in the middle of some kind of time warp. Armed with the knowledge that the human soldiers will lose the war, he goes back in time in an effort to change history before it's too late. (Think Groundhog Day by way of Terminator and you'll have the basic idea.) Along the way, he teams up with fellow soldier Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt), who may have the key to completing his mission.
It's all a little dizzying, but Warner Bros. is clearly doing everything in their power to make this twisty sci-fi movie an easier sell to mainstream audiences. Edge of Tomorrow was originally titled All You Need Is Kill, a title that was simultaneously dumber and more memorable. It's the first in what will likely be several attempts to pitch this big-budget blockbuster as one of next summer's most promising action flicks. Will all the effort pay off with audiences? We'll find out when Edge of Tomorrow hits theaters in June of 2014.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week