Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone have a new movie out Christmas Day where they reprise the boxing roles that made them legends of the silver screen, but on Saturday Night Live they drew on their past cinematic lives as Italian-American mobsters. Host John Goodman rounded out this spoof on the nativity story in which the Three Wise Guys from the East Coast ("mainly Long Island and New Jersey") followed the Three Wise Men from the East to the stable where baby Jesus slept.
There were some good jokes for those familiar with the story — "I booked up the whole place," De Niro said of Bethlehem — and some decent mobster banter for those familiar with the mafia genre. Goodman did a game job trying to keep up with the pros. Enjoy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week