Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone have a new movie out Christmas Day where they reprise the boxing roles that made them legends of the silver screen, but on Saturday Night Live they drew on their past cinematic lives as Italian-American mobsters. Host John Goodman rounded out this spoof on the nativity story in which the Three Wise Guys from the East Coast ("mainly Long Island and New Jersey") followed the Three Wise Men from the East to the stable where baby Jesus slept.
There were some good jokes for those familiar with the story — "I booked up the whole place," De Niro said of Bethlehem — and some decent mobster banter for those familiar with the mafia genre. Goodman did a game job trying to keep up with the pros. Enjoy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week