Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone have a new movie out Christmas Day where they reprise the boxing roles that made them legends of the silver screen, but on Saturday Night Live they drew on their past cinematic lives as Italian-American mobsters. Host John Goodman rounded out this spoof on the nativity story in which the Three Wise Guys from the East Coast ("mainly Long Island and New Jersey") followed the Three Wise Men from the East to the stable where baby Jesus slept.
There were some good jokes for those familiar with the story — "I booked up the whole place," De Niro said of Bethlehem — and some decent mobster banter for those familiar with the mafia genre. Goodman did a game job trying to keep up with the pros. Enjoy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week