Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone have a new movie out Christmas Day where they reprise the boxing roles that made them legends of the silver screen, but on Saturday Night Live they drew on their past cinematic lives as Italian-American mobsters. Host John Goodman rounded out this spoof on the nativity story in which the Three Wise Guys from the East Coast ("mainly Long Island and New Jersey") followed the Three Wise Men from the East to the stable where baby Jesus slept.
There were some good jokes for those familiar with the story — "I booked up the whole place," De Niro said of Bethlehem — and some decent mobster banter for those familiar with the mafia genre. Goodman did a game job trying to keep up with the pros. Enjoy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
Subscribe to the Week