A few weeks ago, Family Guy killed off the Griffin family's beloved dog Brian, prompting a wave of poorly edited YouTube tributes and a "revive Brian" petition that garnered more than 150,000 signatures. Last night, in yet another staggering triumph for internet petitions, Family Guy revived Brian just in time for Christmas, in what totally wasn't a shameless publicity stunt designed to get people talking about Family Guy again.
Brian's revival came by way of a convoluted time travel storyline, which allowed Stewie Griffin to go back to the moment Brian was hit by the car and push him out of the way. "Brian, that car killed you. And when it did, a little part of me died as well. I couldn't live without you, so I came back from the future to save your life." It's a vaguely touching moment intercut with a joke about child molestation — so yeah, typical Family Guy.
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane, who also voices both Stewie and Brian, took to Twitter to address the revival:
And thus endeth our warm, fuzzy holiday lesson: Never take those you love for granted, for they can be gone in a flash.— Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) December 16, 2013
I mean, you didn't really think we'd kill off Brian, did you? Jesus, we'd have to be fucking high.— Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) December 16, 2013
Oh and hey... thanks for caring so much about the canine Griffin. He is overcome with gratitude.— Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) December 16, 2013
While many fans were fooled, the heartwarming Christmas "surprise" was undercut by the discovery that a number of upcoming Family Guy episodes have titles like "Brian's a Bad Father" and "Brian the Closer," which seemed like fairly compelling evidence that the dead dog would be back after all. Still, Family Guy fans can take pleasure in Brian's revival, and the confirmation that they should never, ever take anything that happens on Family Guy even remotely seriously.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- How America's internet can become the fastest on Earth
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
Subscribe to the Week