I am always looking for stories beyond the guitar for my storytelling site, Guitarkadia. When I discovered Ken Butler and his work, I knew I found a gem. His Brooklyn studio is filled with hundreds of his "hybrid instruments" created from discarded objects. Butler's philosophy of function versus non-function moves beyond the conceits of art and music — proof that one man's trash is another man's treasure. "No Strings Attached" draws upon material from the documentary on Butler that I'm producing for Guitarkadia. Watch it above.
Narratively is an online magazine devoted to original, in-depth and untold stories. Each week, Narratively explores a different theme and publishes just one story a day. It was one of TIME's 50 Best Websites of 2013.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week