I am always looking for stories beyond the guitar for my storytelling site, Guitarkadia. When I discovered Ken Butler and his work, I knew I found a gem. His Brooklyn studio is filled with hundreds of his "hybrid instruments" created from discarded objects. Butler's philosophy of function versus non-function moves beyond the conceits of art and music — proof that one man's trash is another man's treasure. "No Strings Attached" draws upon material from the documentary on Butler that I'm producing for Guitarkadia. Watch it above.
Narratively is an online magazine devoted to original, in-depth and untold stories. Each week, Narratively explores a different theme and publishes just one story a day. It was one of TIME's 50 Best Websites of 2013.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
Subscribe to the Week