The ballots have been cast and counted, and the results are in. Ladies and gentlemen, this year's inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Cat Stevens, Hall & Oates, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Nirvana, and Peter Gabriel.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's official website stipulates that artists are eligible for consideration 25 years after the release of their first record. The voting body — which is made up of "artists, historians, and members of the music industry" — is asked to judge the "influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."
This is the second year that fans have been invited to weigh in on the nominees in an online poll, and their top two choices — KISS and Nirvana — made the cut. But fan preference isn't necessarily enough for a guaranteed slot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; according to USA Today, Yes and Deep Purple earned more votes than the rest of this year's inductees, but didn't make it in. (The results of the online poll count as only a single vote in a pool of more than 600 ballots, so we probably shouldn't be surprised.)
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which was founded in 1986, is centered in Cleveland, Ohio, and this year's induction ceremony will take place in April at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Here, watch performances from this year's class:
Cat Stevens — "Peace Train":
Hall & Oates — "Maneater":
KISS — "Detroit Rock City":
Linda Ronstadt — "You're No Good":
Nirvana — "Heart-Shaped Box":
Peter Gabriel — "Solsbury Hill":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week