The ballots have been cast and counted, and the results are in. Ladies and gentlemen, this year's inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Cat Stevens, Hall & Oates, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Nirvana, and Peter Gabriel.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's official website stipulates that artists are eligible for consideration 25 years after the release of their first record. The voting body — which is made up of "artists, historians, and members of the music industry" — is asked to judge the "influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."
This is the second year that fans have been invited to weigh in on the nominees in an online poll, and their top two choices — KISS and Nirvana — made the cut. But fan preference isn't necessarily enough for a guaranteed slot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; according to USA Today, Yes and Deep Purple earned more votes than the rest of this year's inductees, but didn't make it in. (The results of the online poll count as only a single vote in a pool of more than 600 ballots, so we probably shouldn't be surprised.)
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which was founded in 1986, is centered in Cleveland, Ohio, and this year's induction ceremony will take place in April at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Here, watch performances from this year's class:
Cat Stevens — "Peace Train":
Hall & Oates — "Maneater":
KISS — "Detroit Rock City":
Linda Ronstadt — "You're No Good":
Nirvana — "Heart-Shaped Box":
Peter Gabriel — "Solsbury Hill":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week