Zach Galifianakis' "Between Two Ferns" series has become the internet's most reliable place for awkward, bizarre celebrity interviews, and the new holiday episode — which features, for reasons that aren't entirely clear, a simultaneous appearance by Tobey Maguire and Samuel L. Jackson — maintains this proud tradition for yet another hilarious installment.
Galifianakis opens his self-proclaimed "Christmas Spectacular" by arguing with Maguire about the proper way to lead into the show's opening. After introducing "Samu L. Jack's Son" and "Toby," Galifianakis launches into a barrage of questions and passive-aggressive insults. In between references to The Cider House Rules and Snakes on a Plane, Galifianakis reveals the identity of the superhero he almost played, gives his guests a thoughtful Christmas gift, and introduces a very special musical guest. As usual, "Between Two Ferns" is a bizarre riff on celebrity talk shows that manages to be far more enjoyable than actual celebrity talk shows; it's sure to bring viewers a little extra Christmas (and Kwanzaa) cheer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week