Zach Galifianakis' "Between Two Ferns" series has become the internet's most reliable place for awkward, bizarre celebrity interviews, and the new holiday episode — which features, for reasons that aren't entirely clear, a simultaneous appearance by Tobey Maguire and Samuel L. Jackson — maintains this proud tradition for yet another hilarious installment.
Galifianakis opens his self-proclaimed "Christmas Spectacular" by arguing with Maguire about the proper way to lead into the show's opening. After introducing "Samu L. Jack's Son" and "Toby," Galifianakis launches into a barrage of questions and passive-aggressive insults. In between references to The Cider House Rules and Snakes on a Plane, Galifianakis reveals the identity of the superhero he almost played, gives his guests a thoughtful Christmas gift, and introduces a very special musical guest. As usual, "Between Two Ferns" is a bizarre riff on celebrity talk shows that manages to be far more enjoyable than actual celebrity talk shows; it's sure to bring viewers a little extra Christmas (and Kwanzaa) cheer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 31, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week