Zach Galifianakis' "Between Two Ferns" series has become the internet's most reliable place for awkward, bizarre celebrity interviews, and the new holiday episode — which features, for reasons that aren't entirely clear, a simultaneous appearance by Tobey Maguire and Samuel L. Jackson — maintains this proud tradition for yet another hilarious installment.
Galifianakis opens his self-proclaimed "Christmas Spectacular" by arguing with Maguire about the proper way to lead into the show's opening. After introducing "Samu L. Jack's Son" and "Toby," Galifianakis launches into a barrage of questions and passive-aggressive insults. In between references to The Cider House Rules and Snakes on a Plane, Galifianakis reveals the identity of the superhero he almost played, gives his guests a thoughtful Christmas gift, and introduces a very special musical guest. As usual, "Between Two Ferns" is a bizarre riff on celebrity talk shows that manages to be far more enjoyable than actual celebrity talk shows; it's sure to bring viewers a little extra Christmas (and Kwanzaa) cheer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week