Zach Galifianakis' "Between Two Ferns" series has become the internet's most reliable place for awkward, bizarre celebrity interviews, and the new holiday episode — which features, for reasons that aren't entirely clear, a simultaneous appearance by Tobey Maguire and Samuel L. Jackson — maintains this proud tradition for yet another hilarious installment.
Galifianakis opens his self-proclaimed "Christmas Spectacular" by arguing with Maguire about the proper way to lead into the show's opening. After introducing "Samu L. Jack's Son" and "Toby," Galifianakis launches into a barrage of questions and passive-aggressive insults. In between references to The Cider House Rules and Snakes on a Plane, Galifianakis reveals the identity of the superhero he almost played, gives his guests a thoughtful Christmas gift, and introduces a very special musical guest. As usual, "Between Two Ferns" is a bizarre riff on celebrity talk shows that manages to be far more enjoyable than actual celebrity talk shows; it's sure to bring viewers a little extra Christmas (and Kwanzaa) cheer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Stop hating on cyclists
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week