You could be forgiven for mistaking Transcendence, Johnny Depp's upcoming sci-fi thriller, for a spin-off of the Matrix franchise. The monologue in this brief teaser, which is delivered by Depp, could have come straight out of the Wachowskis' playbook:
For 130,000 years, our capacity for reason has remained unchanged. The combined intellect of the neuroscientists, engineers, mathematicians, pales in comparison to even the most basic A.I. Once online a sentient machine will quickly overcome the limits of biology. In a short time, its analytical power will be greater than the collective intelligence of every person born in the history of the world. Some scientists refer to this as the singularity. I call it transcendence.
Hey, that's the name of the movie! This enigmatic teaser for Transcendence gives us virtually nothing about the film's story, but it's wearing its philosophical underpinnings on its sleeve. Fortunately, we do know a little bit more about Transcendence, which boasts a truly stellar cast: Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Morgan Freeman, Kate Mara, and Cillian Murphy. Most intriguingly, Transcendence is the directorial debut of famed cinematographer Wally Pfister, who cut his teeth on the Dark Knight trilogy and won an Oscar for his work on Inception. Transcendence is clearly aiming for similarly brainy sci-fi thrills, but this teaser doesn't give us much to go on. Will the movie live up to its lofty pedigree? We'll find out when Transcendence hits theaters next April.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week