You could be forgiven for mistaking Transcendence, Johnny Depp's upcoming sci-fi thriller, for a spin-off of the Matrix franchise. The monologue in this brief teaser, which is delivered by Depp, could have come straight out of the Wachowskis' playbook:
For 130,000 years, our capacity for reason has remained unchanged. The combined intellect of the neuroscientists, engineers, mathematicians, pales in comparison to even the most basic A.I. Once online a sentient machine will quickly overcome the limits of biology. In a short time, its analytical power will be greater than the collective intelligence of every person born in the history of the world. Some scientists refer to this as the singularity. I call it transcendence.
Hey, that's the name of the movie! This enigmatic teaser for Transcendence gives us virtually nothing about the film's story, but it's wearing its philosophical underpinnings on its sleeve. Fortunately, we do know a little bit more about Transcendence, which boasts a truly stellar cast: Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Morgan Freeman, Kate Mara, and Cillian Murphy. Most intriguingly, Transcendence is the directorial debut of famed cinematographer Wally Pfister, who cut his teeth on the Dark Knight trilogy and won an Oscar for his work on Inception. Transcendence is clearly aiming for similarly brainy sci-fi thrills, but this teaser doesn't give us much to go on. Will the movie live up to its lofty pedigree? We'll find out when Transcendence hits theaters next April.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How I lost all my money
Subscribe to the Week