Great news, Muggles.
Your favorite wizard from Hogwarts is coming back. Only this time he won't be at Hogwarts. And he might not even be a wizard — at least not yet.
Writing on her official website, J.K. Rowling announced that she was working on a new stage production based on Harry Potter's life with the despicable Dursley family.
Plot details are scant, but the story will reportedly concern's Harry's early life as a misfit before he went on to become a celebrated, evil-vanquishing poster child for the magic world.
What was it like to be the boy in the cupboard under the stairs? This brand new play, which will be developed for the UK theatre, will explore the previously untold story of Harry's early years as an orphan and outcast. Featuring some of our favorite characters from the Harry Potter books, this new work will offer a unique insight into the heart and mind of the now legendary young wizard. A seemingly ordinary boy, but one for whom Destiny has plans... [JKRowling.com]
Rowling is listed as a co-producer, and will be working closely with award-winning producers Sonia Friedman (who worked on The Book of Mormon) and Colin Callender (whose company produced Lucky Guy by the late Nora Ephron, which went on to become the highest grossing Broadway play in history).
A writer and director have yet to be chosen, according to the Associated Press, and no opening date has been set. According to USA Today, Rowling said she had received "many stage pitches" starring Harry and his pals, but Friedman and Callendar's vision "was the only one that really made sense to me, and which had the sensitivity, intensity, and intimacy I thought appropriate for bringing Harry's story to the stage."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week