Read more about the facts mentioned:
10 important facts about A Christmas Story's leg lamp (Mental Floss)
12 interesting literary facts for Christmas (Huffington Post)
The 12 lists of Christmas (Real Simple)
Why we "drop" the ball on New Years Eve (Today I Found Out)
- The curious life of urban Christmas tree sellers
- When Americans banned Christmas
- This week I learned what movie producers in the 1940s used for snow, and more
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week