Weiner said his son, Jordan, should appreciate his dad's antics. Photo: (Andrew Burton/Getty Images)
Unfortunately, it wasn't easy limiting this year's list to just 13 statements but here are the craziest and most offensive things said by American politicians this year:
13. "He's the first one to give it to the people without providing Vaseline."
— Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R), quoted by the Bangor Daily News, on Democratic rival Troy Jackson (D) who he said has a "black heart" and should go back in the woods "and let someone with a brain come down here and do some good work."
12. "Mankind has existed for a pretty long time without anyone ever having to give a sex-ed lesson to anybody. And now we feel like, oh gosh, people are too stupid unless we force them to sit and listen to instructions. It's just incredible."
— Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), quoted by Right Wing Watch, adding that it all reminded him of the Soviet Union.
11. "I am the senator. You are the citizen. You need to be quiet."
— North Carolina State Senator Tommy Tucker (R), quoted by the Raleigh News and Observer, to Goldsboro News-Argus publisher Hal Tanner who was opposing legislation to change public notice requirements for local government.
10. "I wonder how many Boston liberals spent the night cowering in their homes wishing they had an AR-15 with a hi-capacity magazine?"
— Arkansas State Rep. Nate Bell (R), on Twitter.
9. "This administration has so many Muslim brotherhood members that have influence that they just are making wrong decisions for America."
— Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), in an interview with WND Radio, explaining what he sees as President Obama's downplaying of the threat of radical Islam.
8. "More background checks? Dandy idea, Mr. President. Should've started with yours."
— Sarah Palin, quoted by the New York Times, speaking to CPAC about President Obama's gun control proposals.
7. "A holstered gun is not a deadly weapon... But anything can be used as a deadly weapon. A credit card can be used to cut somebody's throat."
— New Hampshire state Rep. Dan Dumaine (R), quoted by the Concord Monitor, opposing a move to ban guns for the chamber floor.
6. "In the emergency room they have what's called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out."
— Texas State Rep. Jody Laubenberg (R), quoted by the AP, arguing that a bill restricting abortion needed no exemptions for case of rape.
5. "Assault weapons is a misused term used by suburban soccer moms who do not understand what is being discussed here."
— Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R), quoted by the Missouri News Horizon, on efforts to ban assault weapons.
4. "First of all, the kid's going to grow up in Gracie Mansion. So I'm going to say, 'Kid, don't complain.'"
— Anthony Weiner (D), quoted by the Staten Island Advance, on what he'll eventually tell his now 18-month old son about the sexting scandal that ended his congressional career.
3. "I'm not gay. So I'm not going to marry one."
— Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Georgia), quoted by Politico, when asked if his views on gay marriage were changing.
2. "He's partly right on that."
— Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Georgia), an OB-GYN, quoted by the Marietta Daily Journal, on former Rep. Todd Akn's (R-MO) "legitimate rape" comments.
1. "Watch a sonogram of a 15-week baby, and they have movements that are purposeful. They stroke their face. If they're a male baby, they may have their hand between their legs. If they feel pleasure, why is it so hard to believe that they could feel pain?"
— Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas), quoted by Salon, suggested a fetus might masturbate.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week