Seven years ago, teen detective Veronica Mars earned an unceremonious retirement after three seasons of a critically beloved (but relatively low-rated) TV show. But like Sherlock Holmes before her, Veronica has come back from the dead to solve another case — and this first theatrical trailer for the Veronica Mars movie gives us our best glimpse yet of her forthcoming resurrection.
In the years since the conclusion of the TV series, Veronica Mars has given up her sleuthing in favor of a job as a high-profile lawyer in New York City. But when her ex-boyfriend Logan Echolls is implicated in the death of his new girlfriend, Veronica is reluctantly drawn back to Neptune, Calif., in an attempt to clear his name. "So, you going to ask if I did it?" says Logan. "I wouldn't be here if I thought you did," Veronica replies.
The movie's story is obviously engineered to be accessible to mainstream audiences that aren’t even aware Veronica Mars was once a TV show. But this trailer also makes it clear that the Veronica Mars movie will be very heavy on callbacks of characters in the original TV series. Diehard fans of the show will be excited to see that pretty much everyone has returned for its big-screen revival, including Keith, Piz, Dick, Wallace, Mac, Gia, Leo, and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of Weevil.
And pleasing diehard fans is probably a good idea, since they're the reason the Veronica Mars movie is happening at all. Last year, series creator Rob Thomas successfully crowd-sourced the production, netting $5.7 million from fans eager to see Veronica's story continued on the big screen. Will mainstream audience embrace the sleuth's return? We'll find out when Veronica Mars hits select theaters in March.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week