Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were probably the only reason many viewers watched this year's Golden Globe awards, the slightly less prestigious (but often more fun) younger cousin of the Academy Awards, with winners picked not by the Hollywood elite but the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. There were some memorable moments in the three-hour ceremony, but none offered the back-to-back entertainment value of the opening banter between Fey and Poehler. (The first five minutes are above, the second five below — watch for the George Clooney joke alone)
Fey and Poehler's Golden Globe hosting duties last year set such a high bar that Seth MacFarlane, hosting the Oscars, couldn't match them. This year's Academy Awards will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. Good luck, Ellen.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How I lost all my money
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week