Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were probably the only reason many viewers watched this year's Golden Globe awards, the slightly less prestigious (but often more fun) younger cousin of the Academy Awards, with winners picked not by the Hollywood elite but the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. There were some memorable moments in the three-hour ceremony, but none offered the back-to-back entertainment value of the opening banter between Fey and Poehler. (The first five minutes are above, the second five below — watch for the George Clooney joke alone)
Fey and Poehler's Golden Globe hosting duties last year set such a high bar that Seth MacFarlane, hosting the Oscars, couldn't match them. This year's Academy Awards will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. Good luck, Ellen.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The girl who wouldn't die
Subscribe to the Week