Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were probably the only reason many viewers watched this year's Golden Globe awards, the slightly less prestigious (but often more fun) younger cousin of the Academy Awards, with winners picked not by the Hollywood elite but the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. There were some memorable moments in the three-hour ceremony, but none offered the back-to-back entertainment value of the opening banter between Fey and Poehler. (The first five minutes are above, the second five below — watch for the George Clooney joke alone)
Fey and Poehler's Golden Globe hosting duties last year set such a high bar that Seth MacFarlane, hosting the Oscars, couldn't match them. This year's Academy Awards will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. Good luck, Ellen.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week