Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were probably the only reason many viewers watched this year's Golden Globe awards, the slightly less prestigious (but often more fun) younger cousin of the Academy Awards, with winners picked not by the Hollywood elite but the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. There were some memorable moments in the three-hour ceremony, but none offered the back-to-back entertainment value of the opening banter between Fey and Poehler. (The first five minutes are above, the second five below — watch for the George Clooney joke alone)
Fey and Poehler's Golden Globe hosting duties last year set such a high bar that Seth MacFarlane, hosting the Oscars, couldn't match them. This year's Academy Awards will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. Good luck, Ellen.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
Subscribe to the Week