Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were probably the only reason many viewers watched this year's Golden Globe awards, the slightly less prestigious (but often more fun) younger cousin of the Academy Awards, with winners picked not by the Hollywood elite but the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. There were some memorable moments in the three-hour ceremony, but none offered the back-to-back entertainment value of the opening banter between Fey and Poehler. (The first five minutes are above, the second five below — watch for the George Clooney joke alone)
Fey and Poehler's Golden Globe hosting duties last year set such a high bar that Seth MacFarlane, hosting the Oscars, couldn't match them. This year's Academy Awards will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. Good luck, Ellen.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week