Jan. 13, 1966: President Johnson named the first black cabinet member, Robert Weaver, to head Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HHS), now referred to as Health and Human Services (HHS).
Quote of the Day
"I do the very best I know how, the very best I can — and I mean to keep on doing so until the end." — Abraham Lincoln
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
Subscribe to the Week