Jan. 13, 1966: President Johnson named the first black cabinet member, Robert Weaver, to head Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HHS), now referred to as Health and Human Services (HHS).
Quote of the Day
"I do the very best I know how, the very best I can — and I mean to keep on doing so until the end." — Abraham Lincoln
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week