Jan. 13, 1966: President Johnson named the first black cabinet member, Robert Weaver, to head Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HHS), now referred to as Health and Human Services (HHS).
Quote of the Day
"I do the very best I know how, the very best I can — and I mean to keep on doing so until the end." — Abraham Lincoln
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week