"You know the tale," says the new Maleficent trailer. "Now find out the truth." It's an apt tagline for the film, which promises to retell the events of 1959's animated classic Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the evil Maleficent. As the titular villain, Angelina Jolie cuts an appropriately menacing figure. But this trailer also highlights some of the film's other characters, including Princess Aurora (Elle Fanning), King Stefan (Sharlto Copley) and a host of Maleficent's vicious-looking minions.
"There is evil in this world," says Maleficent in the trailer. "Hatred. And revenge." It's a dark, undeniably striking attempt to reinvent Sleeping Beauty for the modern day — but will this new take on a familiar story offer enough freshness to attract audiences? We'll find out when Maleficent hits theaters on May 30.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week