"You know the tale," says the new Maleficent trailer. "Now find out the truth." It's an apt tagline for the film, which promises to retell the events of 1959's animated classic Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the evil Maleficent. As the titular villain, Angelina Jolie cuts an appropriately menacing figure. But this trailer also highlights some of the film's other characters, including Princess Aurora (Elle Fanning), King Stefan (Sharlto Copley) and a host of Maleficent's vicious-looking minions.
"There is evil in this world," says Maleficent in the trailer. "Hatred. And revenge." It's a dark, undeniably striking attempt to reinvent Sleeping Beauty for the modern day — but will this new take on a familiar story offer enough freshness to attract audiences? We'll find out when Maleficent hits theaters on May 30.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week