"You know the tale," says the new Maleficent trailer. "Now find out the truth." It's an apt tagline for the film, which promises to retell the events of 1959's animated classic Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the evil Maleficent. As the titular villain, Angelina Jolie cuts an appropriately menacing figure. But this trailer also highlights some of the film's other characters, including Princess Aurora (Elle Fanning), King Stefan (Sharlto Copley) and a host of Maleficent's vicious-looking minions.
"There is evil in this world," says Maleficent in the trailer. "Hatred. And revenge." It's a dark, undeniably striking attempt to reinvent Sleeping Beauty for the modern day — but will this new take on a familiar story offer enough freshness to attract audiences? We'll find out when Maleficent hits theaters on May 30.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week