"You know the tale," says the new Maleficent trailer. "Now find out the truth." It's an apt tagline for the film, which promises to retell the events of 1959's animated classic Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the evil Maleficent. As the titular villain, Angelina Jolie cuts an appropriately menacing figure. But this trailer also highlights some of the film's other characters, including Princess Aurora (Elle Fanning), King Stefan (Sharlto Copley) and a host of Maleficent's vicious-looking minions.
"There is evil in this world," says Maleficent in the trailer. "Hatred. And revenge." It's a dark, undeniably striking attempt to reinvent Sleeping Beauty for the modern day — but will this new take on a familiar story offer enough freshness to attract audiences? We'll find out when Maleficent hits theaters on May 30.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
Subscribe to the Week