"You know the tale," says the new Maleficent trailer. "Now find out the truth." It's an apt tagline for the film, which promises to retell the events of 1959's animated classic Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the evil Maleficent. As the titular villain, Angelina Jolie cuts an appropriately menacing figure. But this trailer also highlights some of the film's other characters, including Princess Aurora (Elle Fanning), King Stefan (Sharlto Copley) and a host of Maleficent's vicious-looking minions.
"There is evil in this world," says Maleficent in the trailer. "Hatred. And revenge." It's a dark, undeniably striking attempt to reinvent Sleeping Beauty for the modern day — but will this new take on a familiar story offer enough freshness to attract audiences? We'll find out when Maleficent hits theaters on May 30.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week