Shakira and Rihanna's new duet "Can't Remember to Forget You" is hardly the most popular song released by either artist yet. But if the song itself isn't enough to generate a bunch of downloads, maybe this new, NSFW-ish music video will do the job.
The video opens with a pan over a gorgeous blue shoreline, but don't be fooled — the video spends a lot more time on the song's gorgeous singers. "I keep forgetting I should let you go," sings Shakira as she transitions through a variety of outfits that include a wiry black bathing suit, a stringy red dress, and, in one case, nothing at all.
Rihanna joins Shakira after the chorus, and the duo spend the rest of the video singing and lounging around with cigars in hand, as absurdly famous, absurdly wealthy people are wont to do. "I'd rob and I'd kill to keep him with me, I'd do anything for that boy," they sing as they writhe around on a bed. (The boy in question never actually shows up, so they're stuck with each other instead.)
Will Shakira and Rihanna's shamelessly pandering video help the song reach top of the charts? It was posted to YouTube less than a day ago, and it already has well over four million views — so yeah, we'd say they're on their way.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week