Philip Seymour Hoffman, the acclaimed actor who won an Oscar in 2006 for his portrayal of Truman Capote in Capote, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his New York City apartment, according to multiple news sources.
It was reported in May of 2013 that Hoffman had spent 10 days in rehabilitation for a heroin addiction.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week