2016 is still a ways off. Photo: (Sean Gardner/Getty Images)
We’re two years away from the presidential primaries, yet new polls are being released every week that test possible 2016 matchups.
The latest is a new CNN/ORC poll that shows New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) now trailing Hillary Clinton (D) in a presidential race by 16 points.
Political scientist Jonathan Bernstein makes the academic case that general election polls at this early date are essentially worthless.
Writes Bernstein: "The results are some messy mix of relative party standing, candidate name recognition, recent press reports about the candidates, and who knows what else. Any relationship with events taking place in the fall of 2016 is almost totally coincidental."
But forget about the political science for a moment. Does anyone seriously think Hillary Clinton would beat any Republican presidential candidate — let alone Chris Christie — by that large a margin?
After the party conventions, which take place in the summer before Election Day, partisans almost always line up behind their party nominees. Until that happens, most polls don’t make any sense.
No one loves presidential campaign coverage more than me and there are some important questions to consider: Will Hillary Clinton run for president? If she does, will she be challenged in a primary? How will the Republican field shake out with no viable front-runners?
But for now, let’s just ignore the presidential polls. They’re meaningless.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week