Audiophile: Listen SmarterRemembering Philip Seymour Hoffman through his unforgettable performances
It's the rare actor — maybe even the singular actor — who could elevate any movie simply by appearing in it. Philip Seymour Hoffman was that actor.
Watch the trailer for The Master (2012):
Watch the trailer for Capote (2005):
Watch the trailer for Hard Eight (1996):
Watch the trailer for Synecdoche, New York (2009):
- Why are there so few movies about Martin Luther King Jr.?
- Why Justified is the best cop show on television
- A eulogy for Blockbuster
Scott Meslow is the entertainment editor and film and television critic for TheWeek.com. He has written about film and television at publications including The Atlantic, POLITICO Magazine, and Vulture.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
Subscribe to the Week