Audiophile: Listen SmarterRemembering Philip Seymour Hoffman through his unforgettable performances
It's the rare actor — maybe even the singular actor — who could elevate any movie simply by appearing in it. Philip Seymour Hoffman was that actor.
Watch the trailer for The Master (2012):
Watch the trailer for Capote (2005):
Watch the trailer for Hard Eight (1996):
Watch the trailer for Synecdoche, New York (2009):
- Why are there so few movies about Martin Luther King Jr.?
- Why Justified is the best cop show on television
- A eulogy for Blockbuster
Scott Meslow is the entertainment editor and film and television critic for TheWeek.com. He has written about film and television at publications including The Atlantic, POLITICO Magazine, and Vulture.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
Subscribe to the Week