Audiophile: Listen SmarterRemembering Philip Seymour Hoffman through his unforgettable performances
It's the rare actor — maybe even the singular actor — who could elevate any movie simply by appearing in it. Philip Seymour Hoffman was that actor.
Watch the trailer for The Master (2012):
Watch the trailer for Capote (2005):
Watch the trailer for Hard Eight (1996):
Watch the trailer for Synecdoche, New York (2009):
- Why are there so few movies about Martin Luther King Jr.?
- Why Justified is the best cop show on television
- A eulogy for Blockbuster
Scott Meslow is the entertainment editor and film and television critic for TheWeek.com. He has written about film and television at publications including The Atlantic, POLITICO Magazine, and Vulture.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week