The idea that we look to a groundhog for meteorological predictions is endearingly naïve — as is the fact that, at the tip-top of February, we would expect anything less than 6 more dark, chilly weeks. One of the great mistakes of the Western world: vesting a rodent with such power, never once questioning his timing in mid-winter purgatory.
If Punxsutawney Phil's prophesy hit you hard — or even if you knew it all along and hibernated straight through his forecast — you deserve the kind of food that will meet you right where you are. Comfort food was made for this. From the best mashed potatoes to gooey chocolate cake, here are 13 exemplars that will be your strength and give you hope through this winter's homestretch.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week