The idea that we look to a groundhog for meteorological predictions is endearingly naïve — as is the fact that, at the tip-top of February, we would expect anything less than 6 more dark, chilly weeks. One of the great mistakes of the Western world: vesting a rodent with such power, never once questioning his timing in mid-winter purgatory.
If Punxsutawney Phil's prophesy hit you hard — or even if you knew it all along and hibernated straight through his forecast — you deserve the kind of food that will meet you right where you are. Comfort food was made for this. From the best mashed potatoes to gooey chocolate cake, here are 13 exemplars that will be your strength and give you hope through this winter's homestretch.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week