The idea that we look to a groundhog for meteorological predictions is endearingly naïve — as is the fact that, at the tip-top of February, we would expect anything less than 6 more dark, chilly weeks. One of the great mistakes of the Western world: vesting a rodent with such power, never once questioning his timing in mid-winter purgatory.
If Punxsutawney Phil's prophesy hit you hard — or even if you knew it all along and hibernated straight through his forecast — you deserve the kind of food that will meet you right where you are. Comfort food was made for this. From the best mashed potatoes to gooey chocolate cake, here are 13 exemplars that will be your strength and give you hope through this winter's homestretch.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week