The idea that we look to a groundhog for meteorological predictions is endearingly naïve — as is the fact that, at the tip-top of February, we would expect anything less than 6 more dark, chilly weeks. One of the great mistakes of the Western world: vesting a rodent with such power, never once questioning his timing in mid-winter purgatory.
If Punxsutawney Phil's prophesy hit you hard — or even if you knew it all along and hibernated straight through his forecast — you deserve the kind of food that will meet you right where you are. Comfort food was made for this. From the best mashed potatoes to gooey chocolate cake, here are 13 exemplars that will be your strength and give you hope through this winter's homestretch.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week