The idea that we look to a groundhog for meteorological predictions is endearingly naïve — as is the fact that, at the tip-top of February, we would expect anything less than 6 more dark, chilly weeks. One of the great mistakes of the Western world: vesting a rodent with such power, never once questioning his timing in mid-winter purgatory.
If Punxsutawney Phil's prophesy hit you hard — or even if you knew it all along and hibernated straight through his forecast — you deserve the kind of food that will meet you right where you are. Comfort food was made for this. From the best mashed potatoes to gooey chocolate cake, here are 13 exemplars that will be your strength and give you hope through this winter's homestretch.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week