For a certain set of viewers, the upcoming Under the Skin will be worth seeing solely because it features Scarlett Johansson playing an alien who specializes in seducing men — and because those scenes often take place with Johansson in the nude. But this unnerving new trailer for Under the Skin makes it clear that this is no sleazy Skinemax feature, and that anyone looking for titillation will likely walk away disappointed.
Under the Skin, which earned rave reviews after a series of festival screenings, follows Johansson's predatory alien seductress as she wanders the Scottish countryside. As she brings a series of men home with her, they're surprised to find themselves in the midst of a very different kind of one-night stand: a bizarre, psychosexual encounter in a sludgy room, where her conquests are gradually subsumed into a liquid void. The process then repeats, as Johansson's emotionless character seeks new victims while becoming gradually more familiar with human nature.
The premise is offbeat enough, but director Jonathan Glazer enhances the alienation with several unconventional filming techniques. Much of the film is dialogue-free, instead scored by unnerving electronic music by Mica Levi. Some of Johansson's scenes were improvised, and the extras are true Scottish non-actors who happened to stumble into Under the Skin's production. It's an unusual, ambitious project that's clearly aiming a little higher than Species — but will audiences be willing to embrace this deliberately discomforting sci-fi parable? We'll find out when Under the Skin hits theaters in limited release in April.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week