Paris might soon give tourists a reason to look underground instead up and around at the city of lights.
Paris mayoral candidate Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet announced earlier this month a plan to turn the city's 11 deserted metro stations into public spaces. The politician worked with architect Manal Rachdi and urban planner Nicolas Laisné to create renderings of proposed renovations.
The revitalized stations could become the home of nightclubs, art galleries, five-star restaurants, theaters, or swimming pools.
The proposal is similar to other urban renewal projects such as New York City's High Line, which turned an old train track into an urban park and one of the city's most visited locations.
At a time when New-York is talking about the 'Lowline', why couldn't Paris profit from its underground potential and invent new functions for these abandoned places? This is about a slow transformation, to find, as opportunities arise, a new and thrilling way to take possession of these places.
The project has been so well-received it may come to life even if Kosciusko-Morizet is not elected. Here, a few of the renderings:
The proposed project could turn abandoned Metro stations into nightclubs, which would surely be popular with tourists.
Another abandoned station would become a restaurant.
Another station would become a full theater. The station would be as much of an attraction as the show.
One of the most difficult proposed transformations would be turning a station into a public garden. We think it'd become the High Line of Paris.
Another station would make a fantastic space as an art gallery.
More from Skift...
- The MTA plans to turn New Yorkers smartphones into subway passes
- NYC takes subway riders underground with amazing Flickr account
- Google launches a map with street views of airports, train and subway stations
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week