Feb. 13, 1905: In a speech focusing on America's wide racial divide, President Theodore Roosevelt said whites should adjust their attitudes towards minorities. Roosevelt said whites were the leading race in the United States and therefore had a responsibility to preserve American civilization by working to improve the status of all minorities.
Quote of the Day
“Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.” —Theodore Roosevelt
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week