Feb. 13, 1905: In a speech focusing on America's wide racial divide, President Theodore Roosevelt said whites should adjust their attitudes towards minorities. Roosevelt said whites were the leading race in the United States and therefore had a responsibility to preserve American civilization by working to improve the status of all minorities.
Quote of the Day
“Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.” —Theodore Roosevelt
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
Subscribe to the Week