Feb. 13, 1905: In a speech focusing on America's wide racial divide, President Theodore Roosevelt said whites should adjust their attitudes towards minorities. Roosevelt said whites were the leading race in the United States and therefore had a responsibility to preserve American civilization by working to improve the status of all minorities.
Quote of the Day
“Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.” —Theodore Roosevelt
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- What's the difference between in- and un-?
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week