Feb. 13, 1905: In a speech focusing on America's wide racial divide, President Theodore Roosevelt said whites should adjust their attitudes towards minorities. Roosevelt said whites were the leading race in the United States and therefore had a responsibility to preserve American civilization by working to improve the status of all minorities.
Quote of the Day
“Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.” —Theodore Roosevelt
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 8 logo revisions that had people howling
- The super-rich are just as miserable as the rest of us
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week