Since House of Cards premiered on Netflix last year, numerous critics have blasted it for its ludicrously cynical depiction of the political scene in Washington, D.C. Would a politician ever be as calculating and cutthroat as Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood? Maybe not — but apparently they're willing to pretend to be. In honor of the second season premiere of House of Cards, Now This News convinced a half-dozen actual members of Congress to deliver some of Underwood's most memorable lines.
Participants include Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), Donna Edwards (D-Md.), and House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.). It turns out that icy lines like "That's how you devour a whale" or "Power is a lot like real estate. Location, location, location" are a lot more unsettling when they come from somebody who actually has political power.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week