Feb. 18, 2010: President Barack Obama met with the Dalai Lama. But trying not to anger China, the meeting occurred not in the Oval Office, but in the less symbolic confines of the White House Map Room. After the meeting, the Dalai Lama was shown out a side door — amid bags of trash. The door goes into the Palm Room, which links the West Wing and the Mansion; visiting dignitaries never go in and out this way. The White House also barred press from the meeting and issued one photo — which it put on Flickr, and not on the official White House website.
Quote of the Day
"Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals." — George Washington
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- Why I give money to homeless people
Subscribe to the Week