Feb. 18, 2010: President Barack Obama met with the Dalai Lama. But trying not to anger China, the meeting occurred not in the Oval Office, but in the less symbolic confines of the White House Map Room. After the meeting, the Dalai Lama was shown out a side door — amid bags of trash. The door goes into the Palm Room, which links the West Wing and the Mansion; visiting dignitaries never go in and out this way. The White House also barred press from the meeting and issued one photo — which it put on Flickr, and not on the official White House website.
Quote of the Day
"Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals." — George Washington
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Incheon: the next white elephant city
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week