Feb. 18, 2010: President Barack Obama met with the Dalai Lama. But trying not to anger China, the meeting occurred not in the Oval Office, but in the less symbolic confines of the White House Map Room. After the meeting, the Dalai Lama was shown out a side door — amid bags of trash. The door goes into the Palm Room, which links the West Wing and the Mansion; visiting dignitaries never go in and out this way. The White House also barred press from the meeting and issued one photo — which it put on Flickr, and not on the official White House website.
Quote of the Day
"Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals." — George Washington
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Your 2-year-old doesn't need to go to school
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week