Feb. 18, 2010: President Barack Obama met with the Dalai Lama. But trying not to anger China, the meeting occurred not in the Oval Office, but in the less symbolic confines of the White House Map Room. After the meeting, the Dalai Lama was shown out a side door — amid bags of trash. The door goes into the Palm Room, which links the West Wing and the Mansion; visiting dignitaries never go in and out this way. The White House also barred press from the meeting and issued one photo — which it put on Flickr, and not on the official White House website.
Quote of the Day
"Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals." — George Washington
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
Subscribe to the Week