Feb. 18, 2010: President Barack Obama met with the Dalai Lama. But trying not to anger China, the meeting occurred not in the Oval Office, but in the less symbolic confines of the White House Map Room. After the meeting, the Dalai Lama was shown out a side door — amid bags of trash. The door goes into the Palm Room, which links the West Wing and the Mansion; visiting dignitaries never go in and out this way. The White House also barred press from the meeting and issued one photo — which it put on Flickr, and not on the official White House website.
Quote of the Day
"Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals." — George Washington
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
Subscribe to the Week