The Amazing Spider-Man 2 doesn't hit theaters until May, but Sony's recent promotional blitz seems intent on ensuring that audiences know most of its story upfront. This new three-minute trailer gives face time to several of the film's numerous villains, including Rhino (Paul Giamatti) and Green Goblin (Dane DeHaan) — but as the title of this video indicates, the main focus is Electro (Jamie Foxx).
"This city worships you," says Electro to Spider-Man. "You wanted to be the hero. Now you've got to pay the price." The trailer goes on to reveal the origins of the blue-skinned baddie: He's a creation of Oscorp, who was also responsible for the radioactive spider that turned Peter Parker into Spider-Man. But while Parker has used his powers to protect New York City, Electro has some kind of bone to pick: "I have so much anger. No matter what you do, you can't contain it," mutters the supervillain as he uses his powers to shut down Times Square.
From there, this trailer highlights one of The Amazing Spider-Man 2's big show-stoppers: A throwdown between Spider-Man and Electro in the heart of Times Square. Obnoxious dubstep soundtrack aside, it's a fairly impressive-looking fight sequence, which makes it all the stranger that Sony put it up on YouTube instead of saving it for the big screen. But if May 2 feels like too long to wait for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, this is probably your best bet — at least until Sony releases an even longer, more spoiler-laden trailer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week