- Marginalia February 27
Calvin and Hobbes cartoonist Bill Watterson is back after nearly a two-decade hiatus — sort of. The reclusive author drew a film poster for an upcoming documentary called Stripped. It's about the lives of comic-strip cartoonists, and includes interviews with Family Circus creator Jeff Keane and Watterson himself.
Although neither Calvin nor his playful tiger sidekick Hobbes appear on the poster, fans will recognize Watterson's hallmark drawing style. Watterson told the Washington Post that he thought of the poster idea quickly: "Given the movie's title and the fact that there are few things funnier than human nudity, the idea popped into my head largely intact. The film is a big valentine to comics, so I tried to do something really cartoon-y."
Stripped will be released on DVD on April 2, and check out the poster below. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week