- Marginalia February 27
Calvin and Hobbes cartoonist Bill Watterson is back after nearly a two-decade hiatus — sort of. The reclusive author drew a film poster for an upcoming documentary called Stripped. It's about the lives of comic-strip cartoonists, and includes interviews with Family Circus creator Jeff Keane and Watterson himself.
Although neither Calvin nor his playful tiger sidekick Hobbes appear on the poster, fans will recognize Watterson's hallmark drawing style. Watterson told the Washington Post that he thought of the poster idea quickly: "Given the movie's title and the fact that there are few things funnier than human nudity, the idea popped into my head largely intact. The film is a big valentine to comics, so I tried to do something really cartoon-y."
Stripped will be released on DVD on April 2, and check out the poster below. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- Singapore's ruling party runs into trouble
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week