- Oof February 28
"There's a difference — there's a difference between the genders," noted Bill O'Reilly on his Fox News show, as he asked two female contributors, Kristen Powers and Kate Obenshain, to tell him the problems with having a female U.S. president.
"There's gotta be some downside to having a woman president, right?" O'Reilly implored. "Something. Something that may not fit with that office. Correct?" The premise stumped both women, neither of whom was eager to make the qualities for a U.S. chief executive gender-specific. Then Powers (the Democrat) came up with a not-so-subtle dig at Hillary Clinton, noting that maybe a female POTUS would feel compelled to act macho by, say, voting for the Iraq War.
At Slate, Amanda Hess and Katy Waldman have their own list of problems a female president would face, like "hair in the presidential shower drain" and "glass ceiling shatters and now there's glass everywhere." If you want to take O'Reilly's challenge seriously, drop a note in the comment section below. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week