- Fresh Gear February 28
Falling asleep while binge-watching House of Cards and waking up confused about what you missed is one of life's biggest annoyances. Thankfully, there's a possible solution on the horizon in the form of a wristband that tracks when you slip into slumber and pauses your Scandal session.
Revealed at Netflix's internal Hack Day event, this nifty gadget is a customized Fitbit wristband that pauses the program the second it senses you're asleep. It also displays a message saying "Looks like you fell asleep!" and even saves a time-stamped "sleep bookmark" for future reference.
Although the gadget might never see the light of day (it "may never become part of the Netflix product, internal infrastructure, or be used beyond Hack Day," a company blog post warns), it's fun to think about the future.
Watch a demo of the product below. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week