- The Oscars March 2
12 Years a Slave just won Best Picture at the 86th annual Academy Awards.
"Everyone deserves not just to survive, but to live," said director Steve McQueen during his acceptance speech — a quote from Solomon Northup, on whose 1853 memoir the film was based. McQueen finished the speech by dedicating the award to "all the people who have endured slavery, and the 21 million people who still suffer slavery today."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week