- Foreign affairs March 3
The White House announced today that Michelle Obama will travel to two cities in China (Beijing and Chengdu) in late March. The first lady will visit cultural and historical landmarks and promote her education initiatives by visiting high schools and universities in the cities.
The first lady's daughters, Sasha and Malia, as well as Mrs. Obama's mother, Marian Robinson, will join her on the trip. This is the third time in recent years that Mrs. Obama has traveled without her husband. In 2010, she went to Haiti to survey damage following a devastating earthquake, and in 2011, Mrs. Obama visited Botswana and South Africa to promote youth leadership.
Those interested can request updates on the trip and follow along on social media.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- 7 sentences that sound crazy but are still grammatical
Subscribe to the Week