- Foreign affairs March 3
The White House announced today that Michelle Obama will travel to two cities in China (Beijing and Chengdu) in late March. The first lady will visit cultural and historical landmarks and promote her education initiatives by visiting high schools and universities in the cities.
The first lady's daughters, Sasha and Malia, as well as Mrs. Obama's mother, Marian Robinson, will join her on the trip. This is the third time in recent years that Mrs. Obama has traveled without her husband. In 2010, she went to Haiti to survey damage following a devastating earthquake, and in 2011, Mrs. Obama visited Botswana and South Africa to promote youth leadership.
Those interested can request updates on the trip and follow along on social media.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week