Last week's question: An 18-year-old New Jersey high school student is suing her parents for financial support and tuition payments after she moved out of their house in a dispute over whether she had to follow their rules. On what grounds could parents sue their teenagers?
THE WINNER: Intentional infliction of emotional distress
Patty White, Piedmont, Calif.
SECOND PLACE: Failure to provide value for monies invested
Kathy Wesner, North Canton, Ohio
THIRD PLACE: Trespassing
Raven Deerwater, Mendocino, Calif.
Loitering in bathroom
Sonja Amadae, Cambridge, Mass.
James N. Rhodes, Columbiana, Ohio
Pain and suffering
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, Mich.
Failure to vacate the premises when given timely notice
Lou Franzini, St. Augustine, Fla.
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Phil Litts, Lodi, Calif.
Violating the Fifth Commandment
Sheralee Iglehart, Stanford, Calif.
Alienation of assets
Denham Smith, Chelsea, Mich.
Abandonment and loss of affection
Rochelle Fincke, Colonia, N.J.
Misappropriation of parental retirement funds
Barbara Harman, Concord, Calif.
Dick Adler, Lecanto, Fla.
Extorting room and board by hugging me once in a while
Kristen Pavlik, Laurel, Md.
George C. Morin Jr., Littleton, Colo.
Defamation of character for every text complaining of parental action
Marcia Murphy, Burlington Mass.
For like, you know...whatever
Suzanne Ginger, Farmington, Ill.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
Subscribe to the Week