- Ouch March 5
Let's hope the Winklevoss twins have a backup plan.
Canadian-based Bitcoin exchange Flexcoin shuttered on Tuesday, after hackers stole about $600,000 worth of the digital currency in a Sunday theft.
Flexcoin's losses are a drop in the bucket compared to last month's similar hack of Japan-based exchange Mt. Gox, which lost millions of dollars' worth of the currency and subsequently declared bankruptcy. Still, such vulnerabilities in the exchanges' systems are more ammo for opponents of Bitcoin, who point to the currency's role in criminal activities such as the now-defunct Silk Road drug marketplace.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week