- Ouch March 5
Let's hope the Winklevoss twins have a backup plan.
Canadian-based Bitcoin exchange Flexcoin shuttered on Tuesday, after hackers stole about $600,000 worth of the digital currency in a Sunday theft.
Flexcoin's losses are a drop in the bucket compared to last month's similar hack of Japan-based exchange Mt. Gox, which lost millions of dollars' worth of the currency and subsequently declared bankruptcy. Still, such vulnerabilities in the exchanges' systems are more ammo for opponents of Bitcoin, who point to the currency's role in criminal activities such as the now-defunct Silk Road drug marketplace.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
Subscribe to the Week