- Ouch March 5
Let's hope the Winklevoss twins have a backup plan.
Canadian-based Bitcoin exchange Flexcoin shuttered on Tuesday, after hackers stole about $600,000 worth of the digital currency in a Sunday theft.
Flexcoin's losses are a drop in the bucket compared to last month's similar hack of Japan-based exchange Mt. Gox, which lost millions of dollars' worth of the currency and subsequently declared bankruptcy. Still, such vulnerabilities in the exchanges' systems are more ammo for opponents of Bitcoin, who point to the currency's role in criminal activities such as the now-defunct Silk Road drug marketplace.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week