- Watch this March 5
Perhaps you've seen these second-a-day videos before? They tend to go viral. They also tend to be heartwarming snapshots of life.
This video, however, is nothing of the sort. In 90 seconds we watch as a British girl's happy and safe world cracks under the onset of war until it is demolished completely. After losing most of her family and coming close to death herself, the girl is shown celebrating another birthday under considerably bleaker circumstances. The video ends with the words: "Just because it isn't happening here, doesn't mean it isn't happening."
Save the Children UK released the PSA just days ahead of the third anniversary of Syria's uprising-turned-civil war, which has killed more than 140,000 people and made refugees of some 2.5 million more.
"We hope the video will resonate with members of the public, particularly those who don't know much about the situation in Syria so they can really understand the plight of innocent Syrian children," a Save the Children spokesperson told The Independent.
The video certainly is a striking attempt to make another country's war feel terrifyingly close to home.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week