- Watch this March 5
Perhaps you've seen these second-a-day videos before? They tend to go viral. They also tend to be heartwarming snapshots of life.
This video, however, is nothing of the sort. In 90 seconds we watch as a British girl's happy and safe world cracks under the onset of war until it is demolished completely. After losing most of her family and coming close to death herself, the girl is shown celebrating another birthday under considerably bleaker circumstances. The video ends with the words: "Just because it isn't happening here, doesn't mean it isn't happening."
Save the Children UK released the PSA just days ahead of the third anniversary of Syria's uprising-turned-civil war, which has killed more than 140,000 people and made refugees of some 2.5 million more.
"We hope the video will resonate with members of the public, particularly those who don't know much about the situation in Syria so they can really understand the plight of innocent Syrian children," a Save the Children spokesperson told The Independent.
The video certainly is a striking attempt to make another country's war feel terrifyingly close to home.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week