Is there anything better than a bowl of chili?
Really, though — it's spiced, warm, and hearty; it's flexible enough to endure endless variations; and, above all, it's the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Whether you're vegan, gluten-free, or the dreaded picky eater, no one can turn up their nose at a bowl of chili.
That's because, despite stiff competition, chili is the ultimate comfort food. Walking into a house redolent of long-simmered chili is the equivalent of a warm hug from someone you actually want to be hugged by. Another great thing about chili? It makes a ton: so whether you're inviting a crowd or just eating for one, straight from the pot, there will definitely be leftovers. And everyone knows chili tastes better the next day.
More from Food 52...
This article was originally published on Food52.com: 9 chili recipes that are like a warm hug
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week