Is there anything better than a bowl of chili?
Really, though — it's spiced, warm, and hearty; it's flexible enough to endure endless variations; and, above all, it's the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Whether you're vegan, gluten-free, or the dreaded picky eater, no one can turn up their nose at a bowl of chili.
That's because, despite stiff competition, chili is the ultimate comfort food. Walking into a house redolent of long-simmered chili is the equivalent of a warm hug from someone you actually want to be hugged by. Another great thing about chili? It makes a ton: so whether you're inviting a crowd or just eating for one, straight from the pot, there will definitely be leftovers. And everyone knows chili tastes better the next day.
More from Food 52...
This article was originally published on Food52.com: 9 chili recipes that are like a warm hug
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week