Is there anything better than a bowl of chili?
Really, though — it's spiced, warm, and hearty; it's flexible enough to endure endless variations; and, above all, it's the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Whether you're vegan, gluten-free, or the dreaded picky eater, no one can turn up their nose at a bowl of chili.
That's because, despite stiff competition, chili is the ultimate comfort food. Walking into a house redolent of long-simmered chili is the equivalent of a warm hug from someone you actually want to be hugged by. Another great thing about chili? It makes a ton: so whether you're inviting a crowd or just eating for one, straight from the pot, there will definitely be leftovers. And everyone knows chili tastes better the next day.
More from Food 52...
This article was originally published on Food52.com: 9 chili recipes that are like a warm hug
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week