Is there anything better than a bowl of chili?
Really, though — it's spiced, warm, and hearty; it's flexible enough to endure endless variations; and, above all, it's the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Whether you're vegan, gluten-free, or the dreaded picky eater, no one can turn up their nose at a bowl of chili.
That's because, despite stiff competition, chili is the ultimate comfort food. Walking into a house redolent of long-simmered chili is the equivalent of a warm hug from someone you actually want to be hugged by. Another great thing about chili? It makes a ton: so whether you're inviting a crowd or just eating for one, straight from the pot, there will definitely be leftovers. And everyone knows chili tastes better the next day.
More from Food 52...
This article was originally published on Food52.com: 9 chili recipes that are like a warm hug
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
Subscribe to the Week