In the pantheon of kitchen greats, brightly colored KitchenAid mixers and stately Le Creusets — the kind of gifts you might receive for a wedding (or get married so that someone gives them to you) — might first come to mind. Or your attention may dart to the gleaming knife that fits perfectly in your hand and renders you a kitchen samurai.
The cast iron skillet gets its due devotion, yes, but no one's talking about it for its sexiness. Heavy and austere, it doesn't get gussied up when company comes over; it can't be tossed in the dishwasher with the other pans, and for that, it's sometimes misunderstood — taken for stubborn, nostalgic, fussy. Given a chance, though, it cozies into your heart and garners the same sort of lifelong loyalty as those candy-colored mixers, only perhaps more fervent, precisely because it is so humble. It fries like no other; it gives meats a killer crust and does double duty in the oven. Here are 13 recipes for your skillet to bring sexy back.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week