- Oof March 6
Legoland will close up shop this weekend in response to violent messages from far-right extremists who were angered that the British resort was preparing to host a Muslim family fun day. A Muslim organization had booked rooms for 1,000 families, which put Legoland in the crosshairs of hate groups.
Legoland's Facebook page was battered with abusive messages from right-wing groups, including the British National Party, which said the resort should be "ashamed of themselves for bowing to these Muslims." The Muslim Research and Development Foundation, the organization behind the event, said it was open to all faiths and was looking forward to throwing the event in an "enjoyable, safe, and relaxing environment."
Details of the messages and their origin remain scarce, but a hotel spokesperson said several right-wing groups had "threatened both the visitors and employees" of Legoland. It will reopen next weekend.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- WATCH: Australia's army chief demonstrates how you address sex abuse
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week