- Oof March 6
Legoland will close up shop this weekend in response to violent messages from far-right extremists who were angered that the British resort was preparing to host a Muslim family fun day. A Muslim organization had booked rooms for 1,000 families, which put Legoland in the crosshairs of hate groups.
Legoland's Facebook page was battered with abusive messages from right-wing groups, including the British National Party, which said the resort should be "ashamed of themselves for bowing to these Muslims." The Muslim Research and Development Foundation, the organization behind the event, said it was open to all faiths and was looking forward to throwing the event in an "enjoyable, safe, and relaxing environment."
Details of the messages and their origin remain scarce, but a hotel spokesperson said several right-wing groups had "threatened both the visitors and employees" of Legoland. It will reopen next weekend.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week