- Oof March 6
Legoland will close up shop this weekend in response to violent messages from far-right extremists who were angered that the British resort was preparing to host a Muslim family fun day. A Muslim organization had booked rooms for 1,000 families, which put Legoland in the crosshairs of hate groups.
Legoland's Facebook page was battered with abusive messages from right-wing groups, including the British National Party, which said the resort should be "ashamed of themselves for bowing to these Muslims." The Muslim Research and Development Foundation, the organization behind the event, said it was open to all faiths and was looking forward to throwing the event in an "enjoyable, safe, and relaxing environment."
Details of the messages and their origin remain scarce, but a hotel spokesperson said several right-wing groups had "threatened both the visitors and employees" of Legoland. It will reopen next weekend.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Twin Peaks: What the newly revealed 'missing pieces' change about the series
Subscribe to the Week