- Foreign affairs March 6
Calling the Russian invasion of Crimea a "violation of international law," President Obama on Thursday announced that he had signed an executive order authorizing sanctions against individuals who have allegedly sought to undermine Ukrainian sovereignty. And he condemned an upcoming referendum that will determine whether the Crimean Peninsula remains in Ukraine or becomes a part of Russia, saying the vote "would violate the Ukrainian constitution and violate international law."
"We are well beyond the days where borders can be redrawn over the heads of Democratic leaders," he said, adding, "Any discussion on the future of Ukraine must include the legitimate government of Ukraine."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The mysterious origins of the Jersey Devil
Subscribe to the Week