- Foreign affairs March 6
Calling the Russian invasion of Crimea a "violation of international law," President Obama on Thursday announced that he had signed an executive order authorizing sanctions against individuals who have allegedly sought to undermine Ukrainian sovereignty. And he condemned an upcoming referendum that will determine whether the Crimean Peninsula remains in Ukraine or becomes a part of Russia, saying the vote "would violate the Ukrainian constitution and violate international law."
"We are well beyond the days where borders can be redrawn over the heads of Democratic leaders," he said, adding, "Any discussion on the future of Ukraine must include the legitimate government of Ukraine."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week