Read more about the facts mentioned:
Crocodiles can climb trees: researchers (Reuters)
Even Olympians can't help Wheaties (Wall Street Journal)
Wheaties & sport (The Pop History Dig)
Which country reads the most? (Mental Floss)
Listen to more audio explainers:
- Why the Fed should hand out wads of money
- This week I learned why the toga was so popular in the Roman Empire, and more
- Tracing the evolution of music history through 80 years of Best Original Song winners
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week