- Late Night Antics March 7
Russian President Vladimir Putin is a "semi-delusional autocrat" who governs over a propaganda-dishing, state-censored media, said Jon Stewart on Thursday night's Daily Show. Almost everyone can see that Putin is living in an alternate reality — even Germany's Angela Merkel — so why are the hosts at Fox News and their Republican guests being "fooled by this guy's bullshit?" Stewart asked.
Republicans have been holding up the "strong" Putin as a favorable alternative to the "weak," "mom jeans"-wearing Obama. (Seriously, the "mom jeans" line is a thing.) In one of Stewart's clips, Rudy Giuliani gushes that while Obama dithers, Putin the leader acts quickly and makes the world react to him. That's not the definition of a leader, Stewart said, incredulously, "that's what you call a toddler." Also, when the Fox News crowd isn't calling Obama weak, they're calling him a "dictator king," Stewart said. And then he hit on a possible explanation for this cognitive dissonance... --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week