- Watch this March 7
Someone's gotta do it.
Here's a video interviewing some of the 400,000 brave souls eager to take a one-way trip to Mars. While some candidates are depressed and lonely on Earth, seeing little or no purpose for their continued existence here, others would be leaving behind wives, boyfriends, and children in the pursuit of doing something good and noble — becoming part of the first group of humans to colonize the red planet.
Personally, while I think it's awesome to be alive at the dawn of the era where humanity is beginning to try to colonize the universe, I sure as anything don't want to spend three years in an enclosed metal tube, drifting away from the tiny planet where everyone I have ever known exists, to colonize from scratch a dusty, empty rock. So I'm pretty thankful that there are people out there ballsy or gutsy or stupid or brave enough to do it, instead.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Surviving a plane crash
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Stop freaking out over the West's jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week