- Watch this March 7
Someone's gotta do it.
Here's a video interviewing some of the 400,000 brave souls eager to take a one-way trip to Mars. While some candidates are depressed and lonely on Earth, seeing little or no purpose for their continued existence here, others would be leaving behind wives, boyfriends, and children in the pursuit of doing something good and noble — becoming part of the first group of humans to colonize the red planet.
Personally, while I think it's awesome to be alive at the dawn of the era where humanity is beginning to try to colonize the universe, I sure as anything don't want to spend three years in an enclosed metal tube, drifting away from the tiny planet where everyone I have ever known exists, to colonize from scratch a dusty, empty rock. So I'm pretty thankful that there are people out there ballsy or gutsy or stupid or brave enough to do it, instead.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week