- Watch this March 7
Someone's gotta do it.
Here's a video interviewing some of the 400,000 brave souls eager to take a one-way trip to Mars. While some candidates are depressed and lonely on Earth, seeing little or no purpose for their continued existence here, others would be leaving behind wives, boyfriends, and children in the pursuit of doing something good and noble — becoming part of the first group of humans to colonize the red planet.
Personally, while I think it's awesome to be alive at the dawn of the era where humanity is beginning to try to colonize the universe, I sure as anything don't want to spend three years in an enclosed metal tube, drifting away from the tiny planet where everyone I have ever known exists, to colonize from scratch a dusty, empty rock. So I'm pretty thankful that there are people out there ballsy or gutsy or stupid or brave enough to do it, instead.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week