- The Fate of Civilization March 10
Maybe the best sign that the new film Noah could revive the Hollywood Biblical epic is Saturday Night Live's piggybacking, with a mock preview for Girl, Lena Dunham's version of the life of Eve. The most obvious joke is the (digitally obscured) nudity — a staple of Dunham's Girls — but the dialogue actually trumps the visual gags. "I know I committed original sin," Dunham's Eve tells God, "but at least it's original. I think I deserve some credit for that. Or at least a publishing deal." Familiarity with Dunham's HBO show and/or the Book of Genesis is helpful but not required. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week