- Really? March 10
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is the most popular politician in the world — at least if the Hermit Kingdom's state-run media is to be believed. Running uncontested in the first election for the Supreme People's Assembly since assuming control of the country, Kim was the unanimous choice in his district, which reported a perfect 100 percent turnout. (For reference, only 61.8 percent of voters turned out for the 2012 U.S. presidential election.)
"This is an expression of all the service personnel and people's absolute support and profound trust in supreme leader Kim Jong-un as they single-mindedly remain loyal to him," the Korean Central News Agency said, according to the Associated Press.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week