- Crime and punishment March 10
Disgraced Olympian Oscar Pistorius reportedly vomited in court today during testimony from Dr. Gert Saayman, the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Pistorius' slain girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The double-amputee sprinter, who is accused of murdering Steenkamp, was seen "breaking down, loudly gagging, and retching" when he heard the graphic details of Steenkamp's injuries. A bucket was placed near him so he could vomit.
This portion of the trial couldn't be broadcast or live-tweeted by journalists in the courtroom because Judge Thokozile Masipa decided the evidence was too "explicitly graphic" to be publicly released. However, writers were allowed to summarize the start of the case's second week. What rattled Pistorius the most was Saayman's description of the bullet wounds that tore through Steenkamp's body.
Court was briefly adjourned to allow Pistorius to compose himself.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week