- Crime and punishment March 10
Disgraced Olympian Oscar Pistorius reportedly vomited in court today during testimony from Dr. Gert Saayman, the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Pistorius' slain girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The double-amputee sprinter, who is accused of murdering Steenkamp, was seen "breaking down, loudly gagging, and retching" when he heard the graphic details of Steenkamp's injuries. A bucket was placed near him so he could vomit.
This portion of the trial couldn't be broadcast or live-tweeted by journalists in the courtroom because Judge Thokozile Masipa decided the evidence was too "explicitly graphic" to be publicly released. However, writers were allowed to summarize the start of the case's second week. What rattled Pistorius the most was Saayman's description of the bullet wounds that tore through Steenkamp's body.
Court was briefly adjourned to allow Pistorius to compose himself.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
Subscribe to the Week