- Crime and punishment March 10
Disgraced Olympian Oscar Pistorius reportedly vomited in court today during testimony from Dr. Gert Saayman, the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Pistorius' slain girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The double-amputee sprinter, who is accused of murdering Steenkamp, was seen "breaking down, loudly gagging, and retching" when he heard the graphic details of Steenkamp's injuries. A bucket was placed near him so he could vomit.
This portion of the trial couldn't be broadcast or live-tweeted by journalists in the courtroom because Judge Thokozile Masipa decided the evidence was too "explicitly graphic" to be publicly released. However, writers were allowed to summarize the start of the case's second week. What rattled Pistorius the most was Saayman's description of the bullet wounds that tore through Steenkamp's body.
Court was briefly adjourned to allow Pistorius to compose himself.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
Subscribe to the Week