Last month, Wired did a study of dating profiles with the help of OkCupid and Match.com in order to assemble some tips on writing the perfect profile. Here are seven things they discovered from crunching the numbers on the words people use in their dating profiles.
1. A MELLOW ATHLETIC VIBE WORKS WELL
The top five words used in male profiles with the highest average attractiveness ratings project a vibe that's fit, but laid back: surfing, surf, yoga, skiing, the ocean. The ladies also do well with the mellow athletic vibe, but with a dash of urban sophistication thrown in. The top five in women's profiles: surfing, yoga, athlete, London, NYC.
2. A RELIGIOUS ONE, NOT SO MUCH
The word "God" got low ratings across the board.
3. WORK OUTSIDE GENDER STEREOTYPES
The words "my children"? Very attractive in a man's profile. Not so attractive in a woman's. "Electronics," on the other hand, worked very well for the ladies and not so well for the guys.
4. TALK ABOUT RADIOHEAD
Like the hot people do. That was the highest scoring band name.
5. TALK ABOUT CATS, BUT DON'T MENTION YOUR OWN
The word "cats" was ranked pretty high, but "my cats" — not so attractive.
6. A DOUBLE STANDARD FOR MEN AND WOMEN ON GIRLS
Men's profiles did better if they used the word "women" instead of "girls." But women did a bit better if they referred to themselves as girls.
7. WHOM IS HOT
Men who used the word "whom" get 31 percent more contacts. Whom does this surprise? Not The Week readers, of course, for whom nothing is sexier than a deftly wielded objective case.
Read more about the Wired study here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week